Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ski Woodland Park


Last winter, I'd hoped to ski at Battle Creek's Woodland Park but there was no snow when I visited.  A few days ago, I returned and, while the conditions were not perfect, I did enjoy skiing the park's trails.  The snow was just deep enough to ski with the occasional rock or root breaking the snow surface. 

Like some of my usual Kalamazoo ski destinations, Woodland Park seemed popular with hikers and dogwalkers and most of the trails were packed hard and somewhat slippery.  One loop did have a nice set of tracks set by previous skiers with only a few footprints marring the track.  That trail section offered the best skiing.

The trails were mostly flat with a few rolling hills.  There was one very short but relatively steep slope.  A new bridge over the park's creek opened a loop that would have been inaccessible on skis.  (Last winter I crossed the water on a fallen log, but I couldn't have done that on skis.)  The outer loop was about 2.5 miles long.  With good snow conditions, this park would be good for beginning skiers.

If I lived in Battle Creek, I'm sure this would become a regular winter destination for me.

Woodland Park and Nature Preserve
14201 Helmer Road
Battle Creek, MI
[address is approximate]

No comments: