Sunday, July 1, 2012

Chipman Preserve

The Chipman Preserve is one of the Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy's largest preserves.  It was donated to the SWMLC by the Chipman family, founders of Landscape Forms, in 2002.  I worked with some of my students on a service-learning project at the preserve years ago but I hadn't visited since.  Earlier this week, my daughter and I took an enjoyable walk on the preserve's trails.

The preserve has about four miles of trails through oak woods and grasslands.  The conservancy is working to establish prairie and savannah plants in the open areas and to restore wildflowers in the forest.  The Butterfly Milkweed were in full flower on our visit, along with Bergamot and Black-eyed Susan.


The Chipman Preserve is located a few miles east of Kalamazoo on E. Main Street between 30th and 33rd, fairly close to the McLinden Nature Trails.

Chipman Preserve
8555 East Main Street
Comstock, MI

(address is approximate.)

No comments: