Thursday, January 27, 2011

Skiing at the Kalamazoo Nature Center


A guidebook I read last year, Winter Trails Michigan, had selected the Kalamazoo Nature Center as one of the best ski trails in the state. This confused me. While I visit the Nature Center dozens of times a year, I never considered it a good place for cross-country skiing. The trails near the visitor center are narrow and, in places, steep: great walking but not so great on skis. The arboretum section is wide open and easy to ski but not that scenic.

Eventually it dawned on me that I had been missing the obvious. The trails around the Nature Center's Delano Homestead would be perfect for skiing. Wide trails along fields and through woods with modest slopes to add interest.

A quick visit confirmed this. The Delano trails make a very nice ski outing.


Delano Homestead

Kalamazoo Nature Center
555 West E Ave
Kalamazoo, MI

No comments: